FAQ – Frequently Asked Questions

Legal Weddings in Cancun



  • Copies of both parties passports.
  • Copies of your tourists cards (you will receive these during your incoming flight.
  • Four witnesses with a copy of their passports and a copy of their tourist cards (if needed, we can provide witnesses for you). The witnesses must be a minimum of 18 years old. Family members are allowed to be witnesses for the couple.
  • Medical certificate and blood test for both parties (has to be done in Mexico no more than 15 days before the wedding.
  • Wedding application format filled out indicating your name, age, nationality, home address an occupation (we provide it).

A legally binding marriage in México must take place before a Judge, the spiritual ceremonies (symbolic ceremony)  are not legally recognazed but are rather designed to allow couple to express their fellings in no traditional way. However you can have both ceremonies (legal and spiritual Ceremony)  is a perfect combination.  

In order to get the necessary paperwork done before a civil wedding you must be at least 3 days in advance.

Blood test and medical certificate must be done at least 3 days before the Wedding.

Yes, they are!! Same sex weddings performed within Mexico are recognized.

I perform ceremonies all of Cancun (Cancun hotel zone),  Riviera Maya, Puerto Juarez, Puerto Morelos, Tulum, Playa del Carmen, Isla Mujeres, Cozumel, Bacalar.

I can also come to your resort, just make sure to ask your coordinator about their external vendors policy. If this is no possible I arrange everything to perform your ceremony to the closest public beach near your resort.

I hold most of the ceremonies at public beaches, or private venues.

NO. You will get a marriage license in Mexico.  After your ceremony, you will be given your marriage certificate from Mexico.  This document is in Spanish.  If you need a translated copy of your marriage certificate when you return, we can assist you with these translations.

Mexican laws require a Health Certificate for all Legal Wedding Ceremonies. Blood tests are done to determine blood type, HIV and STD status. Tests will be taken at your resort.

All documents issued in one country that are going to be used in another must be certified. The type of certification that is required in Mexico is called the Apostille Seal.

The Hague convention is an international treaty drafted by the Hague Conference on Private International Law. It specifies the modalities through which a document issued in one of the signatory countries can be certified for legal purposes in all other signatory states.

The apostille seal is sufficient to certify a document´s validity and remove the need of double-certification. It is comparable to a notarization in domestic law.

Some countries are  not a signatory to the Hague Apostille Convention, and therefore it is not possible to obtain apostille certification. The  equivalent to the international apostille process is called document authentication and legalization.

Yes, If you got married in Cancun, Playa del Carmen, Tulum, Isla Mujeres or the Riviera Maya, and have lost your original Mexican Marriage Certificate,  I can assist you in obtaining  a Certified Copy of your Mexican Marriage Certificate, if you need one.

If you got married in Cancun, Playa del Carmen or the Riviera Maya in the State of Quintana Roo, México and have lost your original Marriage Certificate, you can obtain a certified copy.

Once your Wedding Application has been submitted to the Civil Registry Office and the Justice of Peace has been booked, you will not be able to get a refund of the Civil Wedding Fees, but you could get a refund of my service fee, depending on the cancellation date.

1. All paperwork and wedding application for the legal wedding, must be submitted 3 weeks before the ceremony day.
2. Blood test has to be done in Cancun at least 3 days before your arrival.
3. Additional requirements are required in case of any of the parties are divorced.
4. Apostille seal, legalization seal and translation has an extra cost in case to be required.
5. On January 2013 the New Law is in effect: If the Couple wishes the Names of their Parents to appear on their Legal Wedding Certificate they must present a Birth Certificate Translated by an authorized legal translator and Apostilled seal; these documents will be file with the wedding application and will Not be returned; otherwise the parent’s names will be omitted.